Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
PETROLEUM STORAGE FACILITY
Nova was awarded this contract by the Defense Energy Supply Center (now DLA Energy) to design, build, finance, own, and operate the largest worldwide Department of Defense aircraft fueling facility located at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar. Main components include:
- Tank Truck Offload Facility – five 50,000 gallon underground storage tanks (USTs)
- Bulk Storage Facility – three 50,000 barrel NATO cut-and-cover JP8 fuel storage tanks with one pumphouse over the top of each tank and newly constructed fill stand with four JP8 fuel loading positions, one diesel loading position, and one Mogas loading position
- Operating Storage One (OS1) – three 15,000 barrel NATO cut-and-cover JP8 fuel storage tanks with one pumphouse over the top of each tank and new fill stand facility with two loading positions for JP-8
- Flight Line Fill Stand – six JP8 fill stands to fill R-11 refueler trucks, two with automated dispending facilities for JP8 fuel used for aircraft ground equipment.
- Base Service Station – has automated dispensing capabilities for Diesel, Mogas, and JP8 fuels with one 25,000 gallon UST installed for each type of fuel.
New utilities included sanitary sewer, potable water (fire protection), and storm drainage. Water line piping was routed and extended to various base roads where tie-ins to future waterline projects will be located. Electrical work included power distribution, lighting, controls, instrumentation, telephone, grounding, emergency fuel shutoff, fire alarms, and cathodic protection. Standby generators with 48-continuous-hour capacity were provided with weatherproof enclosures and concrete pads. System, safety equipment, static, lightning protection, and electronic system grounding were provided. Operation of the facility is ongoing. The average daily throughput is one million gallons.